My husband asks me some time ago to make him a crocheted sweater. I was surprised because I didn’t believe that he will wear ever a crocheted item.
Was difficult to design a sweater for him because it had to be a lighter one and not so thick. Also had to be simple but modern.
So here I am with my husband crocheted sweater pattern.
This pattern is for sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL. Is a standard fit and I worked an L size.
Final dimensions are:
If you want to have the pdf version of this pattern, click here
I used Scheepjes Invicta Extra yarn in color dark green.
You will need:
- For S size aprox 400 de grams ( 1600 m/
- 1750 yd)
- For M aprox 500 de grams (2000 m/2200 yd)
- For L aprox 600 de grams (2400 m/2600 yd)
- For XL aprox 700 de grams (2800 m/3000 yd)
- For XXL aprox 800 de grams (3200 m/3400 yd)
- 3 mm crochet hook
20 sts and 16 rows in half double crochet is a square of 10 cm/4 in
You will also need
- A tapestry needle
- 4 buttons (I use ones with 2 cm diameter)
Make your foundation chain:
- S – 98 stitches;
- M – 107 stitches;
- L – 116 stitches;
- XL – 125 stitches
- XXL – 132 stitches;
1 double crochet in each stitch. Chain 2 and turn.
Rows 2 – 4
1 front post double crochet in the first stitch, 1 back post double crochet in the next stitch. Alternate the front post double with the back post double to the end of the row.
1 half double crochet in each stitch. Chain 2 and turn.
We will repeat row 5 to the armpit.
- S – 66 rows;
- M – 67 rows;
- L – 69 rows;
- XL – 70 rows;
- XXL – 70 rows;
Row 71 (S)( 72 (M), 74 (L), 75(XL), 75(XXL))
Decrease for arm hole at the beginning and at the end of the row
- S – 4 stitches ( 1 slip stitch in each of 4, chain 2 and then 1 half double crochet in each stitch until we have 4 stitches left. Chain 2 and turn. After decrease we will have 90 stitches.
- M – decrease with 6 stitches at the beginning and at the end of the row; stitches left 95;
- L – decrease with 9 stitches; stitches left 98
- XL – decrease with 12 stitches; stitches left 101
- XXL – decrease with 14 stitches; stitches left 104.
Row 72 (S), 73(M), 75(L), 76(XL), 76(XXL)
1 half double crochet in each stitch. Repeat this row to the end if the back side.
- S – 33 rows (in total 105 rows)
- M – 35 rows (in total 108 rows)
- L – 37 rows (in total 112 rows)
- XL – 39 rows (in total 115 rows)
- XXL – 41 rows ( in total 117 rows)
If you want the pdf version of this pattern, visit my store here
Repeat the pattern for the back side to the armpit.
After you decreased for arm hole make 1 half double crochet in each of remaining stitch for:
- S – 10 rows; ( in total 80 rows)
- M – 10 rows ( in total 81 rows)
- L – 11 rows; (in total 84 rows)
- XL – 15 rows; ( in total 89 rows)
- XXL – 17 rows; ( in total 91 rows)
Rows 81(S), 82(M),85(L), 90(XL), 92(XXL)
We will make the neckline
- S – 1 half double crochet in first 41 stitches for 25 rows.
Skip 8 stitches and insert the yarn in the next. 1 half double crochet in each of the 41 stitches left for 25 rows.
- M – 1 half double crochet in each of the first 43 stitches for 27 rows. Skip next 9 stitches and then 1 half double crochet in each of the last 43 stitches left for 27 rows
- L – 1 half double crochet in each of the first 45 stitches for 28 rows. Skip next 8 stitches and then 1 half double crochet in each of the last 45 stitches left for 28 rows
- XL – 1 half double crochet in each of the first 46 stitches for 26 rows. Skip next 9 stitches and then 1 half double crochet in each of the last 46 stitches left for 26 rows
- XXL – 1 half double crochet in each of the first 47 stitches for 26 rows. Skip next 9 stitches and then 1 half double crochet in each of the last 47 stitches left for 26 rows
For all sizes
In the space between the 2 parts worked before we will make an elastic band just like at the bottom of the front and back side.
We will work the band for left and right side separately.
Insert the yarn on the first stitch of neckline top.
1 double crochet in each stitch. Chain 2 and turn.
Alternate front post double crochet with back post double crochet.
If you worked at the left side make 3 button holes. Work in first 4 stitches, *skip 4, chain for, work in next 8 stitches. Repeat from * 3 times
Alternate front post double crochet with back post double crochet and in 4 chain space make 4 double crochet.
Alternate front post double with back post double.
For the right side if the neckline proceed the same only that without buttons holes.
Sew the left side and right side together on the bottom joining them with the rest of the sweater.
Foundation chain of:
- S – 36 stitches
- M – 38 stitches
- L – 43 stitches
- XL – 45 stitches
- XXL – 48 stitches
Rows 1 – 4
Make the elastic band the same as for the back and front side
Increase with 1 stitch at the beginning of the row. Then 1 half double crochet in each stitch.
Repeat row 5
1 half double crochet in each stitch ( without increasing)
Starting with row 8 repeat rows 5,6 si 7 until:
- S – row 45 ( row 45 will be the last row with increase) (64 stitches)
- M – row 49 (68 stitches)
- L – row 54 (77 stitches)
- XL – row 57 (81 stitches)
- XXL – row 63 (88 stitches)
After we done with increasing continue straight.
- S – 48 row ( in total 93 rows).
- M – 49 rows( in total 98 rows)
- L – 49 rows (in total 103 rows)
- XL – 48 rows (in total 105 rows)
- XXL – 50 rows ( in total 113 rows).
For the other sleeve follow the same pattern
Now that we have all the parts is time for assembling.
Begin with front side and back side and sew the shoulders
- S – 23 stitches in each side
- M – 25 stitches
- L – 26 stitches
- XL – 26 stitches
- XXL – 27 stitches.
Then we will sew the sleeves from the back and front side. Put a pin trough the middle of the sleeve and trough the shoulder seam. Then sew half of the sleeve from the back side and half from the front side. Pay attention to have the same number of rows on each side. Then begin with the bottom of the sleeve sew to the armpit and then sew the sweater side. Proceed the same with the other part.
Put the sweater with the right side on the exterior and insert the yarn in the first stitch of the neck base.
Make the same elastic band as for the other parts that you worked before.
Make 5 rows or if you want a higher collar more. On the left side make the last button hole
Sew the buttons and that was it.
If you liked this pattern and want to save it for later just click on the “save” button from the picture bellow.
If you want the pdf version of this pattern, visit my shop. For a small fee you can have a no advertise pattern. Thanks.